Good News and a Mini AWP Wrap-Up


Back in August, a self-described "reader of poetry" (and poet himself, although he didn't let me know that at first!) named Paul David Adkins contacted me through Facebook and said that he'd reviewed my chapbook for Luna Luna Magazine. I was totally flattered and very excited and checked the magazine quite frequently to see when the review would run . . . and, well, it didn't for quite a few months. I didn't totally forget about it, but I'd resigned myself to the thought that perhaps the editors of Luna Luna didn't find the review compelling enough (because of the subject matter, my little book) or that they didn't have room for it, etc. I came up with lots of reasons inside my crazy head.

And then yesterday, quite out of the blue, I found this posted to my Facebook wall.

It's a really thoughtful, generous review of my chapbook. I'm touched and flattered and happy to have my poems written about so well, and at such length. So, you know: good news.

Also, it's official: We've managed to keep Vampire Baby alive for an entire year now. Definitely good news.

In bad news, just to let you know that this stuff evens out: I am behind in my class prep and my grading, emails, committee work, submissions to magazines, writing of the verse play (although I banged out a whole five lines yesterday morning -- woohoo!) and that g.d. article/essay on poetry of witness. I have so much I have to do, and so much I WANT to do, and so little time.

I know, I know: boohoo.

AWP was lovely. So much fun. I love wandering around the book fair -- it might be my favorite part, and I get into so much trouble buying books I then have to lug home and hide from my husband, who wonders how they keep multiplying and growing in stacks around our house. I like going to the panels, too -- the ones that are geared toward teaching tend to be the most useful to me, but I like just sitting and listening to people speak about craft issues and topics I hadn't considered at any great length before. It's nice to spend three days more or less wholly devoted to writing and reading. 

Also, HGP sold out of all of my books pretty early at the book fair, so I had to contribute all of my own remaining copies when it came time for my book signing on Saturday morning. And then we sold out of all of THOSE copies. People sure like a pretty cover -- because really, who are we kidding? No one reads much of the books while perusing the tables at the book fair. We buy the stuff that looks interesting. So thanks, A.K., for designing a cool cover.

And it's always, ALWAYS nice to get away from L.I. for a little bit. Although -- according to the calendar, not so much to the weather outside -- it's supposed to become a little warmer soon, and sunnier, and that goes a hell of a long way towards making this place more tolerable.

Now on to paper grading. Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Poetry Giveaway 2015

** Ridiculous Extra Mid-Week Blog Post **